Monday, May 11, 2009

Danskin Women's Tri

Well, it turns out that I DID participate in the Tri this weekend and yes, I'm glad I did. Going into this event I didn't have expectations. I had no idea how I was going to perform and honestly, I just wanted to participate without feeling like I had goals to try and overcome.

I talk a lot of smack....Lisa also participated in the race and I'll say this, it was nice knowing that she was going to be out there somewhere too. Before we started of course I told her that on the bike I was going to hunt for her...ooohhhh scary! ha-ha Will I ever learn to keep my mouth shut?

My swim was okay. My time was so much better then I had expected. I didn't put much effort into getting it done, or effort into my technique. In fact, I was telling Rick that I kept my head above water for what seemed like most of the time...

On the bike things started to breakdown for me. It was getting hot by this time and I had a difficult time catching my breath out of the TA. The bike was two loops so I shoved some food into my mouth, tried to catch my breath and just relaxed on my bars.

I saw all kinds of bikes...old looking road bikes, mtn bikes...tricked out Tri bikes as well as crazy looking people. Hard core athletes and those who looked like maybe they had just been talked into doing it.

My run SUCKED. It took me 44 minutes to basically WALK 3.1 miles! By far my worst performance to date on the run. I can usually pull off a shuffle, but not this day. I was so thirsty after the bike that I gulped down anything I could find and now my stomach was sloshing around and cramped...forget it. I was hot and tired so screw it I said and walked pretty much all of it until I reached the Marina. I started my shuffle and made my way over the Mill Ave bridge where I saw Lisa coming back for me. Now, after I talked all that smack about coming for her on the bike I wasn't sure what I was going to get...maybe she could see my suffering...or she probably knew I was suffering by how long it was taking me so she just talked me through the last 1/2 mile or so, held my water and told me to finish strong and so I did...the last little effort I had was for the last 100 yards. She saved my spirit and touched my heart....I trust Lisa....I do...

No comments: