Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bring it on!

With Dave, I never really know what to expect. Well, that's not entirely true. I can always expect more then what I think I'm ready for. Okay...let's start this whole thing over again....

Dave never stops challenging me physically or mentally! (That's a better start) About the time I get nice and comfortable in my training he adds a twist and steps up the pace...I think it keeps me humble and it certainly keeps my body guessing.

Our ride started from Camelback and I kind-of expected the Mummy Mtn route to be added into whatever we were doing. He loves to take me up steep hills - and I know I need them, (though I tend to toss out alot of F-bombs) so I wasn't surprised when he said we were headed that direction. So here we are bikin and chattin about whatever comes to mind and he says something like, you'll be happy to know we are doing a pretty big hill climb towards the end of our ride today...and it's bigger then the biggest hill we climb on the MM route. I wasn't sure if I was glad to know ahead of time, or pissed that he told me at all. I was glad for no other reason than pace setting.

It took me a good 5 plus miles with Dave to really get back into my groove this morning. After two bike days off I just wasn't feelin it - but it's back. There was something about Dave's challenge that forced me back into focus. This climb is more then I can describe. I don't even know where we were except up a massive hill going towards the saddle of a mountain. Now my legs are really screaming and I knew that if I stopped pedaling for a tiny second I would fall over. This is the type of climb you have to commit to because once you stop pedaling your @ss is on the pavement. My speed was 4mph and we were not even half way up yet. Fear came over me at this point. Fear that I would not be able to make it...fear of failure...fear of falling. It came out of me again....the words "I can't do it". But even as the words are coming out of my mouth my feet continue to move. My heart and my will were stronger then my head today.... Dave is saying, "yes you can"... just keep pedaling...circles with your legs! and then there it is...the top! Holy Mother I can't even believe I did it. We actually made it! HA-HA YEAH!!! Certainly there is a bigger hill we can climb somewhere in the valley - right Dave? ugh

Yesterday was sluggish and today started that way but now I feel like my strength is back and I'm ready for the rest of the week. I have to challenge my body and work hard daily in order to keep my momentum going...two days of relaxation is too much for me - I don't like the way I feel.

No comments: