Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I knew it

Didn't I say yesterday that I was sure today's workout would test my limits and make me sweat? I'm exhausted. Mentally and physically I'm just toast right now. I am counting the hours until my rest day and since I have some serious running to get done before the 1st, it won't be coming before then.

I met Dave at Camelback again today. I was prepared! I brought food even though he told me we were not going long today.. Anyway, I'm not sure the name of the street but it's off of McDonald & 44th St. near Camelback Mtn and let me tell you, it's tough. We did a loop with some baby hills followed by one giant freaken mammoth hill that I thought for sure I would not make. If I stopped pedalling just for a second I would have fallen over for sure. My loop time averaged about 6:40 or so (some laps were better then others) but honestly, I had a really hard time holding back my tears after lap two and three. I just don't know why hills are such a challenge for me. I tried, honestly I did with all my might to do exactly what Dave was telling me to do but half way up that hill my legs just said no more and I would fall apart just barely getting to the top.

The question is...is this a mental issue? I don't think so. I want to do it...I'm not afraid of it but my quads start to burn and I can't seem to push past that pain for more then a minute or two max. It's ironic really. I've had so many people ask me why I'm training so early for IM...a race that's in Nov. Well, today's performance is the reason. I don't have the leg endurance to keep me going for 17 hours so I have to start early. I'm in this race to finish...nothing less.

No comments: