Saturday, August 2, 2008

Another small success

This morning I woke up and met my friend Jennifer, along with Rick for a Dreamy Draw ride. It's the hill from Glendale Ave up Dreamy Draw to 32nd St that has really been kicking my butt. Maybe it's because I'm tired by the time I reach it or maybe because I have it stuck in my head that it's hard but either way, I tried to break it down into small goals...the first being to ride it without getting off to walk. Done... I've stopped to regroup a couple of times, I've admitted that but not to walk. Goal 2 - increase my speed going up by not giving in to tired legs....DONE!!! That's right! Today I did it.

Rick and I left the house this morning and my legs felt like bricks. So heavy that I put my gear into the second ring right out the door! (Dave REALLY kicked my butt yesterday). I was afraid to think that again I would fail to reach my goal. Easy for some, absolutely! For me this is a pretty big deal. My goal again was simply to keep it at 8mph for round one and 7mph for round two from the bottom of Dreamy Draw to the top. I did better then I had planned! I did 9mph for round one and 8mph for round two!!! SHUT UP! I really wanted to push my legs as hard as I could for as long as I could and WOW, they really pulled through for me today.

The really cool thing was having Rick wait for me at the top with a high five....he's definitely my biggest supporter in all this craziness. I think my new goal for a few weeks will be to just maintain what I have achieved today. If I can push my legs to keep working when they are exhausted that's an accomplishment in itself.

No comments: